November 26, 2007

Example

I just have to pass this story along to all of you. I got a call from a good friend today who is currently jumping through the flaming hoops of law school applications. After he asked me a number of questions about my school and also for advice about applying to law school, we eventually got to talking about what we are each up to and the new things in our lives.

He started telling me about this job he's had for a few months as a runner for a law firm in downtown Salt Lake City and how difficult it can be at times. According to my friend, one of the most difficult things as a runner at a law firm is the bottom-of-the-totem-pole #1 peon status. Consequently, many people at his office were less than cordial to him when he started. He did say, however, one person in particular made all the difference. This person was always so kind and helpful and, in his words, was "amazing." At one point he said "Jennifer [was] one of the nicest people [he's] ever known."

Putting two-and-two together, I asked him which law firm he was working at and, sure enough, it was Fabian and Clendenin. This nice person named Jennifer who made such a difference to my friend was none other than my sister-in-law, Jennifer Dustin! It was an absolute honor to tell him I was related to her and how wonderful she really was.

I was grateful for this experience. Not only did it remind me of how lucky I am to know and be related to someone as awesome as Jennifer, it made me think how important it is for all of us to follow her example. You just never know who is watching you at any given time. Thanks for being such a great example, Jennifer. You've reminded me how important it is to treat everyone with respect and kindness. What a great lesson!

3 comments:

The Mercer Family said...

What a very cool story. It's true Jennifer, you have always been a good example to all of us. I can just imagine how great you are to work with. Like Marshall said, you never know who you can have an impact on- and what small things might really help someone out. Good reminder!

Anonymous said...

Marshall, thanks for sharing this story. That made my whole week! And I believe every word of it about Jennifer, the ever-patient example of kindness and unselfishness. Awesome.

Kim said...

This is just typical Jennifer. As everyone knows, this is just par for the course for her...always going out of her way for others. You're the BEST, Jenn! Love you! --And thanks, Marsh, for sharing!