September 8, 2007

Fun at the Fundraiser--by Kim

I just feel like posting, with nothing to say. What am I supposed to do? I'll ramble. Last night our neighborhood sponsored a fundraiser dinner for Gary Larson's son, Brandon who will lose his foot to an amputation next month following a major motorcycle accident (His bones fused together and the nerves never healed. He will never have use of his foot). He has "hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth" of medical bills...with no insurance. He will need a prosthesis....
Anyway, I talked Mom and Dad into going with me...because John was called out of town at the very last minute, and there was no way I was going with 5 kids alone!

The good news: at $10 a plate, we feasted on Pork, salad, corn on the cob, rolls, and baked potatoes ALL donated by a family in the ward. I bet there were 250-300 people there (right, dad?) Dad won an auction for a $35 apple pie, I got a bucket of peaches, a chocolate cake, some drinking glasses, and a two-night stay at the Zermatt resort (with free golf, dessert, h'ors d'orves (or however you spell it) and a discount on dinner. Ashley got an art set, Natalie a HUGE picnic basket full of picnic ware, and Andrew got a swiss army knife (which he bid on, and won, all without asking my permission.) Fortunately, he only suffered a minor slice to his pointer finger before the night was over.

It was fun....and for a good cause. After the dinner an emotional Brandon and his wife thanked everyone for coming and donating. Someone even donated a Steve Young Hall of Fame football with career stats that sold for $550, Guns worth $750, and furniture. The neighbors were so generous. I threw in 7 of the "ugly" tiles that I couldn't get rid of at a boutique years ago, and boards that date back to business days with Carrie (remember the ugly Bethlehem ones?) Everything went. It was nice to feel like we were contributing! It was a great night!

That had nothing to do with the fam, but here's a quick invite: I don't know if anyone is interested, but on Monday night, we've invited an old high school buddy of Jack Bytheway's, who was on the same air craft carrier with him, who used to drag him off his bunk and make him go to church with him before Jack was a Mormon. (not a Jack Mormon.) :) Anyway, he will arrive at 7:30 and will talk for 30 minutes about days with Jack. It's probably only interesting to me and John, but if anyone would like to join, we'd love to have you. It is our combined FHE with John's family, but this is one that might interest you as well (maybe Mom and Dad at the least.) OK? Kisses to all....sorry for the eternal post. --Kim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marshall said...

That's too bad about Brandon. Hard to comprehend that someone my age has to experience something like that. He went to high school with me, although I never really got to know him. He's lucky to be in your ward - you have some amazing people with hearts of gold who will definitely take care of the family as they go through this. Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great fundraiser...you had me at corn on the cob! Thanks for telling us about it. PS. The first comment was mine; I wish you could edit a typo instead of having to delete your entire thing. Just talking.