September 11, 2007

One really random post...

Ah, sports. In particular - Ah, football. I love the fall! There's nothing like getting up early in the morning, hurredly doing homework, fixing Ava's breakfast and sitting down to several hours of my favorite sport. Sure, I have to endure the occasional objection from the natives, but it's worth it. Oh, is it worth it!

This week, I'm headed to one of the most hallowed halls of American tradition - The Big House. Home of the Michigan Wolverines, the stadium seats over 107 thousand fans and has played host to Heisman winners, pro-bowlers, hall-of-famers and even one President of the United States. (1$ for whoever can say which one and what his position was!) One of my dreams as a Notre Dame fan will become a reality soon that I could have previously only imagined. While its true I am going at the risk of missing my daughter's birth, this will be - for lack of a better word - AWESOME. (Just kidding about missing the birth. The doc said it's not happening for another 2-3 weeks!)

See, I've been thinking about sports a lot lately. This is partly due to the fact that my life as a law student leaves very little else to get excited about. Don't get me wrong, I love determining whether a patient's transfer from Northcrest valley hospital violated EMTALA as much as the next nerd, but I love the sound of helmets crashing just a tad more. Football gives me something to look forward to every weekend. This has taught me a very valuable lesson: life is incomplete without both wins and losses. You really can't win them all, but it doesn't mean you can't still be happy. While I yell Mormon curse words at the tv screen as much as the next fan, I've come to a point in my life where I can walk away regardless of the outcome and say, "that was really fun." I've found this ability has empowered me to enjoy life at a level I never thought possible.

In sum, life is good. I love my family and I am so grateful for the blessings we have. I've come to the realize hobbies are fun and recreation is good, but when it gets in the way of what the real purpose of it all is, we're really just wasting time. Now go hug your kids, kiss your spouse, and "why don't you go outside or something - nerd!"

All this truly dizzying intelect and more from yours truly, Marshall

4 comments:

Christina said...

wow those nyquil pills have done a doozy on you looks like! hahah

we dont watch any sports over here- YA for me as the wife! if one happens to be on..jon will watch..but he's not searching for them--

hope your enjoying your games!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Marshall. Have fun at the game...and I'm glad you didn't bail out! Amy won't like me saying this, but the baby would still be there when you got home!!!! But...if Tim missed one of ours...hmmmm, that's different. Well, then again, he has yet to cut an umbilical cord, so maybe I'd do ok without him?

Kristi said...

Okay Marshall- Ive been thinking about your question and the only president that seemed to be remotely athletic was Ronald Regan. I know he played football but I thought he played and lived in the west- hoping for that dollar!-Too bad my husband isn't around to ask- he is a walking sports alminac!

Anonymous said...

Но нельзя позволять чтобы они садились на шею евгений екимов
!!!