January 30, 2008

Saying Goodbye

I've had a few days to let things sink in, and although the news of President Hinckley's death was a surprise, at first it didn't make me sad. I remember John told me that at the moment his dad passed away, his sister Sally simply looked toward heaven with tears in her eyes and said, "Good Job, Dad." It was a simple statement of triumph for a life well-lived.
When I think of the amazing impact President Hinckley has had on the world, I am amazed. I'm grateful to the many people who have compiled tributes for him that highlight things of his life that have reminded me, and in some cases, taught me, about the unmatched contributions he made to the world on behalf of the Church.
Over the last few days, as I've celebrated his life through watching these memoirs on tv and internet, I've been so grateful for his life. Only now, however, has the sadness hit me. I love this man, and will greatly miss him at General Conference, cracking jokes, talking so optimistically about the future, and laughing at himself. I'll miss his smile, watching him wave his cane, and I'll miss just seeing him on the stand.
John and I were fortunate enough to be in his presence a few times...perhaps a half-dozen or so for different intimate occasions, and yet, never had the chance to shake his hand. (once, however, I came through a back doorway, and practically ran into him, literally, as he was coming out the other side!) But, for anyone who has been in his presence, whether in the Marriott Center, Conference Center, or a few feet away, you know that you don't have to shake his hand to feel the power and spirit that he radiates. What a mantle! He truly is a prophet of God.
He will be greatly missed. --Kim

3 comments:

The Mercer Family said...

I had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times and you could truly feel the power of God all around him. He is definitely one prophet that is very close and dear to my heart. He was amazing, optimistic, down to earth and cared so much for the church and its members. We were blessed to have him as our prophet for such a long time. We will always remember him and his great and marvelous works!

Kim said...

Take time to google the Glen Beck tribute to him. It's simple and thoughtful.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your tribute...well done.