September 30, 2007

Pie is not that easy.

So, I tried my apple pie. First mistake: making it on Fast Sunday so I couldn't "taste as you go." It was WAY too sour. Fortunately, only Jenn and Michael and fam had the guts to show up and try it anyway. My own husband didn't even try any. I think we left 7/8 of the pie at Mom's. Dad seemed to like the tartness. Hopefully it will become his midnight snack in the weeks to come.

I did make a successful chocolate mousse for Tiffany's sake...and they didn't show. Mom made stuffed pork chops, so we didn't quite make it to the mousse, so if you want some Monday, feel free. It's untouched in the garage fridge at Mom's. Just save me a slice. --Kim

6 comments:

Christina said...

sorry about the apple pie..its so HARD when a dessert goes wrong! it just shouldnt happen!!

oh grub on the chocolate one though--why do i live so FAR from the fridge in the garage!!!

Anonymous said...

My apologies for not coming to dinner....I didn't mean to be a flake. In truth, I actually forgot about your WAY tempting offer as dinner invitations just kept falling from my lips yesterday (I've been feeling like I should be more social lately).

We ended up with two other families over here for dinner tonight. We had a good time, capped off by Settlers and fresh peach pie. I didn't bake it so it was very, very tasty. I'll come polish off the chocolate mousse tomorrow. Good try on the apple pie...I'm sure it's much better than you describe!

Kim said...

So, Paula came over last night...bearing brownies. I told her of the pie disaster. Together we figured out where I went wrong. She uses about a teaspoon of lemon juice on her apples to keep them from turning brown as she's slicing...I had Natalie with her little lemon juice in the lemon-shaped container...she used the entire thing! Must have been about 3/4 cup in that thing! No wonder...

Anonymous said...

Here's a cute thing in all of this..at least you were letting Natalie help in the kitchen! To this day I have a hard time just being a cute mom and handing over some control to the kids in the kitchen. It always just seems faster, easier, safer, prettier to do it myself. I need to be better.

Yesterday Adam wanted to cut up some of the carrots for our soup...so I handed him a paring knife and a handful of baby carrots. I could only watch him cut about five of them before I had to take away that knife.

Christina said...

no worries tiffany-im the same way..but i do let rachel make pancakes, french toast and egg omletes!

Anonymous said...

p.s. that was a short 20 minutes to the garage fridge....the chocolate mousse was perfect! Thanks, Kim!